Every year, the health research community unites and exchange ideas to improve the health status in our country. This year, the Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD) in association with Cordillera Regional Health Research and Development Consortium organized the celebration of the 12th Philippine National Health Research System (PNHRS) Week held on August 6-9, 2018 at the CAP John Hay Trade and Cultural Center, Baguio City with the theme “Research and Innovation for Equity in Health”.
The weeklong celebration evolved on talks and discussions about ways on how to address current and pressing health issues and concerns. It is also during this time that regional consortia showcase their funded research papers through a research competition. Criteria for judging includes, but not limited to the importance of the project, innovativeness, addresses real health and health related problem, and has the potential to be converted into policy, product and service. With that, the Region 1 HRDC team had an excellent performance in this recently concluded event.
- Holden Kirby M. Valdez, RN, MPH, PhD from Virgen Milagrosa University Foundation (VMUF), San Carlos City Pangasinan, bagged the First Place Award – Poster Exhibit Contest – Professional Category for his paper entitled Anti-Thrombophenic Activity of Formulated Papaya (Carica Papaya) and Guava (Psidium Guajava) Capsule on Sprague Dawley (Rattus Norvegicus) Rat.
- Ukoba Obatavwe, from Virgen Milagrosa University Foundation (VMUF), San Carlos City Pangasinan, bagged the Second Place Award – Poster Exhibit Contest – Student Category for his paper entitled Antiproliferative Property of Bryophyllum Pinnata (Lam.) Oken. Leaf Extract on Human Breast Cancer Cell Lines.
- Jimmy G. Catanes, RPh, MPH, MDM, PhD, from Virgen Milagrosa University Foundation (VMUF), San Carlos City Pangasinan is a finalist for the Research Presentation (Professional Category) with his paper entitled Cancer Chemopreventive Activity of the Characterized Bioactive Alkaloid Extract from Sorgum Bicolor.
- A Special Award for the Best Consortia Website Award was given only to the Region 1 HRDC Website for their continuous improvement and update on the latest happenings within the region.
- The R1HRDC – Ethics Review Committee (ERC) is now Level 1 Accredited by the Philippine Health Research Ethics Board (PHREB). As such R1HRDC ERC can now make an independent review and decision regarding research proposals in accordance with the rules set for level 1 ERCs.
The R1HRDC team headed by the Chairperson Dr. Maria Lourdes K. Otayza promised to continue and improve its operations to support every goal of PCHRD and PNHRS in delivering upgraded health status in the nation.